For maximum convenience, all our debit cards are compatible with Apple Pay, Android Pay, and Samsung Pay. You can also use them to withdraw money at any SURF ATM in the country without invoking a fee.
If you’re interested in Overdraft Protection, be sure to link your Savings Account with your Advantage Checking Account so that money is transferred automatically in case of a misstep. We offer this feature so you’ll never have to worry about NSF (non-sufficient funds) fees.
Frequently Asked Questions
I want to know if my money is safe. Are Acadia FCU member accounts federally insured?
The short answer is YES. Here are few important things to know about how Maine credit unions are protected:
- Federally insured credit unions offer a safe place for credit union members to save money. These deposits are protected by the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund and insured up to at least $250,000 per individual depositor – the same as any other federally insured financial institution.
- Credit union deposits in federally insured credit unions are safe and secure, and all Maine credit unions are federally insured.
- Credit union members have never lost a penny of insured savings at a federally insured credit union.
- All Maine credit unions are regularly examined by financial regulators to ensure proper management and maintain the safety and soundness of members’ money within the institution.
Visit www.MyCreditUnion.gov for more information about the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund coverage for consumers. Download this informational brochure to help answer any other questions you may have.
Can teenagers open checking accounts and get their own debit cards?
Yes, teens age 14 and older can open checking accounts and get a debit card, as long as there is a parent or guardian also on the account. The responsible adult will need to fill out a minor addendum stating that they are responsible for losses incurred on the minor’s savings and checking accounts. We love to see our younger members learning how to be responsible and are happy to help them, anytime!
Can I open a checking account with Acadia online?
You certainly can open a checking account online! You can apply right here and indicate what type of account you want to open.
Where can I find Acadia’s disclosures or new account forms and applications?
You can find all of Acadia’s important disclosures and various account applications right here.
What is the stop payment fee for checks?
The fee to stop payment on a check can be found here under “Savings & Checking Account Fees.”
How do you protect against fraud?
Breaches normally occur at the processor or store level, and we’re set up to protect you. All Acadia FCU members have 0% liability when it comes to fraudulent transactions. If a merchant is breached or compromised and your card info is stolen, you will never be left unprotected.
If you see questionable transactions on your account, please report them to any of our branches right away. We maintain state-of-the-art fraud protection to guard our members’ personal information around the clock.
Is there a minimum balance needed to keep the checking account open?
Nope. You can have a zero balance and no fees will be charged.
Can I get a debit card for my checking account?
Yes, you can. We even offer “Instant Issue” debit cards, which means that we print your card in five minutes. No more waiting 7-10 business days to get your card in the mail!
How do I order more checks?
1. Call Acadia FCU at 1.855.MY.ACADIA (1.855.692.2234) and we will order them over the phone for you.
2. Stop in to any one of our convenient locations.
3. Re-order checks online under the Check Services tab within online banking.
What is the minimum deposit required to open a checking account?
There is no minimum opening deposit required for Acadia FCU Advantage checking accounts.
Need help? Send us a message.
My family has five generations of members beginning with my grandmother all the way to my grandchildren. In 2008 when we lost our home to the flood, Acadia helped us move on with our lives. It was a time when we needed hope and answers, and Acadia was there. Bonita C., member since 2006