1. Know how much money you have in your checking account by keeping your account register up to date. Record all checks when you write them. Don’t forget to subtract any fees.
2. Record all transactions, including ATM withdrawals and fees, debit card purchases, and online payments.
3. Don’t forget about automatic bill payments you may have set up for utilities, insurance, or other recurring payments.
4. Keep an eye on your account balance. Remember that some checks and automatic payments may not have cleared yet. Set up eAlerts in online banking that will notify you via e-mail of your daily balance when your balance drops below an amount you specify and when a check has cleared.
5. Review your account statements each month.
6. Set up Auto-Transfer to cover bounced checks.
7. Enroll in Acadia’s Courtesy Pay.
8. Apply for Acadia’s Overdraft Line of Credit.